We have a new home!

After much procrastination, I have finally moved by blog over to be hosted at my own website! It was actually all pretty painless in the end. Since I’d done most of the work by setting up my template so that my blog looked like the rest of my website, it was all pretty straightforward. All I had to do was change the publishing to push it to northlandboy.com, and republish it. Easy.

The other thing I’ve done is to set up a stub blog at northlandboy.blogspot.com, so that if anyone goes to the old address, they’ll be presented with a message telling them to go to www.northlandboy.com/blog/. Easier than trying to tell everyone.

I’ve updated a few other links on the website, and I think I’ve got everything covered now.

Right now, I’m in the middle of trying to sort out another big update to my content, with some plans I’ve got for next year. Hopefully I’ll get some maps sorted shortly, and then I’ll be able to start putting up some more information. Stay tuned.

When I’m feeling keen, I’ll sit down and go through the CSS properly for my blog section. Right now it’s a bit of a mess, with some styles being repeated in the external sheet and inline, and some stuff only defined inline. I’ll try and move it into my external stylesheet, to clean things up a bit. Failing that, I could maybe create a separate blog stylesheet. Hmmm, that might be a better way to do it. I’ll see what works out.

Layout changes

I’m trying out a Javascript hack to get the Blogger bar to hide unless you hold your mouse over the top of the page. When I publish to my own site, I’ll be able to do away with this, as it’s a bit ugly.

As you will have noticed, I’ve changed the layout around a bit, to make this look more like northlandboy.com. There’s still plenty of issues to work through, and I’ve only just started working through some areas like comments. I can’t get rid of the blogger bar across the top yet, so there’s some overlap going on there, which I haven’t worked out how to get rid of yet. There are also quite a few problems if you make your window too small (i.e. much smaller than 800×600) in IE – Safari seems OK though.

Don’t even think about looking at the underlying code either, it’s a right mess. Currently I’m doing it with Blogger’s inline styles, modified to look my normal stylesheet, but what I need to do is do it properly, and add a few styles to my main stylesheet, then get the Blogger template to reference an external stylesheet, like it should really do.

Once I get things working as I want them too, I’m going to change it so that the blog is published to northlandboy.com/blog. When I do that, I’ll be able to get rid of the Blogger bar.

If you’ve got any comments/suggestions, feel free to post them. Like I said though, don’t expect anything pretty if you start digging into the code – there’s a lot of kludge from the way it developed – took the Blogger template, pasted in my own, then hacked about a bit to try and combine them.